Life With the Boys!


Life With the Boys!

Monday, September 29, 2008

An act of Kindness

Ok- So hear me out. Yesterday we had an amazing lesson on Service. It was a most wonderful lesson and I think it was for me... ah!! Just a few things really hit home for me and I wanted to share to all of you what the teacher Cari Greenwood handed out to us.
Let me start by telling you a little about it. She told the story of a family who every year did an act of service for Christmas for their father's Christmas present, instead of purchasing something for him. Every Christmas morning the family would wake up to a plain white envelope in the tree. They would all open their gifts and wait until last to open the envelope. This was the most special and precious gift of all. They would open it as a family and would read what act of service was performed in his behalf and anonymously. So for many years this was a tradition in their family. Cut a story short the father passed away years later due to Cancer. His passing was close to the Holidays. The wife was not sure if she could do this service this year. She decided it was a tradition and she wanted it to be carried out. The next morning was Christmas and she woke up to her white envelope and 3 others from her children. I know I am not going into detail, needless to say we were all moved to tears.
I think the story is in a book written by the Chicken Soup guy... Sorry don't know details, but I intend to find out and I will let all of you know.
Then Cari handed all of us a plain white envelope to open. In mine I had 3 different pieces of paper.
1- "You call me Master and Lord: and he say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." John 13:13-15

2. Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light. Albert Schweitzer

3. Do an act of service for a friend, family member or neighbor. Bake cookies, pull weeds, whatever needs to be done!

So I am challenging each of you to perform a small act of service/kindness. It may even be a phone call to someone you have been thinking about, a letter, babysitting for a someone, just say I Love You... or help someone in your own family. I just felt so strongly about this lesson and I intend to help as much as I can.

Love you all...

4 comments:

Megan and Jon said...

This was so sweet, If you find the story will you please pass it along to me.
Recently a act of kindess was given to me on a bad day it was so simple but made my day. It is funny how little things can change someones day. Since then I have prayed to know of ways I can better serve and give kindness so this I really loved. Thanks for sharing.

Marla said...

I too thought this lesson was great. Continuing on the theme we talked about service for FHE. We read the story about the cherries in the friend. Something that I think is key to serving and that President erying said, is to feel how the other person feels. I tried to teach this to my kids but who knows if they caught on. Anyways, your blog is way cute. You can check mine out if you want it is at
garryandersonfamily.blogspot.com
See ya on Sunday

Jessica said...

It sounds like I missed a great lesson. Carrie always gives such great lessons. I always look forward to them. Thanks for the reminder, you are always such a wonderful example of this principle.

Lauri said...

Thanks Wendy, I needed this today! You'll find one of these quotes on mine now! Your blog looks so great and your pictues too!